Wednesday, July 6, 2011

The Local Artist Speaks: THE STOLEN SWEETS


The Stolen Sweets are a darling band of some fine, talented musicians. Their sweet nod to yesteryear is one that will take you back well beyond the seven years the band has been around.

One of the members of that band is Pete Krebs. He's been around these parts for over two decades and can be found in several ensembles in Portland, including one of my personal favorites, Kung Pao Chicken. Back in the day, when I was young, footloose and fancy free, I'd stop by the Lauralthirst Pub on Monday nights for chili, pear cider and Kung Pao Chicken. Ah, those were the days....

Meet Pete Krebs....!

***********************************
How long have you lived in the Portland area?
I have lived in Portland since 1987, and have been active in music here ever since.

Give us a brief history of your band/project:
The Stolen Sweets formed 7 years ago to learn and perform a night's worth of music by the Boswell Sisters. We enjoyed it, and each other, so much that we decided to keep it going!

What’s the first song you ever learned to play?
'Smoke On the Water'

What’s your favorite local venue to play? To see other bands?
I really enjoy all of the local venues that I/we get to play on a regular basis; the Secret Society Ballroom, Tony Starlight's, Duff's Garage, andina Restaurant and the Morrison Hotel.

Speaking of other bands, who do you like on the Portland music scene?
I think that the Midnight Serenaders are a fantastic band, and really dig Caleb Klauder's variety of projects.

Tell us about a recent “Only in Portland” moment you might have had.
Well, my typical 'Only in Portland' moments usually involve running late to a gig, wired on some kind of free-range, fair trade, slow drip, rocket fueled iced coffee, stuck behind a hipster on a track bike who's taking up a whole lane, oblivious to the outside world thanks to some headphones. Oh yeah, and it's raining.

Finish this sentence: “I cannot live without_____”
I cannot live without free-range, fair trade, slow drip, rocket fuel iced coffee.

Editor's Note: I'm afraid that I did not hyperlink any of the content beyond the band's name/link. So sorry! I'm on vacation and the 'ritas are calling my name.

The Stolen Sweets are performing at Music on Main Street TONIGHT! A free, family friendly show, 5 pm to 7 pm. Deets can be found here!

No comments:

Post a Comment