Monday, March 19, 2012

Music Break



James Low and the Western Front-

Recently, I saw James Low and the Western Front at the Laurelthirst Public House. I have to admit that I'm not that familiar with country music, so I didn't really know what to expect. The show was a record release party for their new album, Whiskey Farmer. The band was founded in 2010, and this is their first album together, but James has put out several on his own including Blackheart in 2002 and The Blackgaurd's Waltz in 2008.
The place was packed by the time we arrived. A good sign, I thought to myself, but I still wasn't sure of what to expect from a country show.  I was surprised when the band took the stage. They owned the venue and made the place come alive. The steel pedal guitar gave the music the country flavor the band is known for, but I was really stunned by the drummer. He played as fast and heavy as I would expect from any rock show. OK, so this wasn't going to be just country music. With James Low's emotional voice,  they seemed to take a page from the classic heartland rock bands. The working man, blue collar vibe came out in songs like the title track, Whiskey Farmer.  You also got the feeling of Neil Young in some of the slower songs. But my favorites were the upbeat, fast paced songs like How Much Do You Love Me? and Back in the Saddle. If you like southern rock, such as Drive by  Truckers or Lucinda Williams, you need to check out James Low and the Western Front.

No comments:

Post a Comment