Thursday, March 13, 2014

Guantanamo Baywatch and Boom! Tour Kickoff



Guantanamo Baywatch and Boom! kicked off their tour Wednesday 3/5 at The Know. These bands are on their way to SXSW. I was exhausted all day but I managed to drag myself to the show because I knew these bands liked to party.

If you don’t know, The Know is a hole-in-the-wall punk/metal bar and venue on NE Alberta. It’s cozy and split into the two sections: bar and stage. It was crowded with punk rockers which reminded me of the days when the Satriycon was my home.

Boom! opened the show with straight to the point, upbeat, garage rock jams. The power trio shares a drummer with Guantanamo Baywatch and played short sweet catchy tunes.

I’ve been listening to Guantanamo Baywatch for a few years now ever since my buddy said he went to a house show and saw them play. I love when a band’s name can tell you a lot about their music. Guantanamo Baywatch was everything I’d hope for: a tough combination of surf, garage, and punk. I was right up in front dancing myself sober. This hot drunk girl next to me kept stepping on my toes with her 6 inch heels but I just 
kept moving.

Their drummer kept the danceable up-beat tempo while bass player Chevelle, a cute punk rock Portlander, held down the rhythm and bass licks. Their intoxicated lead singer/guitar player sang his scratchy vocals and shredded the surf riffs while riding the whammy bar on his guitar. He kept on turning his amp up filling the tiny space with reverb. My ears rang up until work the next morning. The show made me want to shred the gnar and break stuff.

Good luck Guantanamo Baywatch and Boom!  Drink a sixer of PBR and get weird for the northwest. Make us proud.  Follow these dudes on Twitter. You won’t be disappointed. 

Guantanamo Baywatch
https://twitter.com/guantanamoBW

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Boom-Portland-Or/189969027684846
 

No comments:

Post a Comment