Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The Local Artist Speaks: CLIMBER

climber 300x189 The Local Artist Speaks
Interview with Michael Nelson
by Tara Dublin
How long have you lived in the Portland area? Born and raised; I’ve lived here my whole life.
Give us a brief history of your band/project: There are four of us in Climber. The really cool thing is that Joe (drums) and Dean (guitar) and I (keys & vocals) have been playing together since we were eighteen. We’ve floated around from style to style, but have always shared an appreciation for change, for doing something different every year or two. We got our start like a lot of bands these days: through sudden unfettered access to digital recording and tinkering via the personal computer. I think, in a weird way, that’s how lots of music is made today. We began in 2002 or 2003, and haven’t stopped yet.
What’s the first song you ever learned to play? When I was five I learned to play “Drill Ye Terriers, Drill,” a jolly old workingman’s chant about the grim economic realities of early 20th century railroad construction (at least I think that’s what it’s about). The most memorable line in the song is, “Oh it’s work all day for sugar in your tea,” except that “tea” is pronounced, “tay,” so it can rhyme with day. Masterful. My sister was taking piano lessons a few years before I was, and she taught it to me. I even played the tune at a talent show that same year. It was the first time I’d ever performed, and when the applause thundered in my ears at the conclusion, I was so stunned and thrilled, I had to be reminded to exit the stage.

What’s your favorite local venue to play? To see other bands? I’ve enjoyed Rontoms for watching a band, lately. Maybe it’s mainly the ultra-modern fireplace and the way the 1960’s are fresh in my mind from watching Mad Men. But it’s one of those places that makes you feel as though you know some important secret about art culture when you step inside it. As for playing, I like the Someday, Mississippi Studios, and any bar where I’m not heckled by women over sixty. Sorry, I’m still a little riled up about getting heckled by a woman over sixty at Biddy’s last month.
Speaking of other bands, who do you like on the Portland music scene? Yes, let’s speak of that, too. I’m a big admirer of Derby and listen to their music frequently. I like The Skinnyz, Boy Eats Drum Machine, and Bryan Free quite a bit. The New York Rifles are pretty magnificent as well, and Mnemonic Sounds are a remarkable new band.
Tell us about a recent “Only in Portland” moment you might have had. Recently our family was downtown at the Chinese gardens, and later we walked over to the train station to show our little daughter. To her delight, we saw a pair of mounted police-officers patrolling (she loves animals – well, who doesn’t?), and we ventured over to investigate. Now, I really don’t know the specifics of the situation, but it looked for all the world like the two officers were doing a little “profiling”; hassling a nice, middle-aged black couple. This is what I heard:
“Do you own the car?”
“Yes, sir. Now, officer, what exactly did we do wrong?”
“I can tell you’re not from around here…”
“No, sir, we live here…”
At this point, we felt embarrassed leering at the scene and left, though our daughter would have been perfectly satisfied watching the horses for fifteen minutes.
Ah, Portland.
Finish this sentence: “I cannot live without_____” Rest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment