Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The Local Artist Speaks: JARED MEES


Jared Mees and his wife, Brianne, founded Tender Loving Empire which is a media and arts collective based in SW Portland. Jared is also the lead singer in Jared Mees and the Grown Children. The band has a new album coming out in May. I asked Jared to share a little about the man behind the music and the hugs......

How long have you lived in the Portland area?
Since 2006

Give us a brief history of your band/project:
I basically began writing songs under my own name in 2005 in a little house on stilts in Panama. Those songs became my first album which I released upon moving to Portland in 2006. Other players came into the mix at that point and the current incarnation was born. Lots of members have come and gone in 4 years though, i think like 26 at this point. I must have bad breath or something...

What’s the first song you ever learned to play?
When I come around (on bass) by Green Day

What’s your favorite local venue to play? To see other bands?
I like playing the most at Slabtown just cuz its so anything goes. I like seeing bands at Doug Fir.

Speaking of other bands, who do you like on the Portland music scene?
Since I am listening to local music 8 hours a day in the Tender Loving Empire store the list is really long but the short list is And And And, Pancake Breakfast, Ages and Ages, Typhoon, Guidance Counselor, Loch Lomond....the list goes on and on

Tell us about a recent “Only in Portland” moment you might have had:
when it rained, snowed, and sleeted the other day, in succession, while the sun was shining...

Finish this sentence: “I cannot live without... hugs”

I interviewed Jared and Brianne for a cable called Art Tuesdays. Check it out by clicking here!

No comments:

Post a Comment