Friday, August 19, 2011

The Local Artisit Speaks: LISA MANN


Yes. Two posts this week! I'll be out on vacation next week so I didn't want to miss out and share this post with you about Lisa Mann.

Internationally recognized Blues singer/songwriter and award-winning bassist, Lisa Mann has taken the world by storm with Lisa Mann and Her Really Good Band. Her influences run the gamut, from low down blues sisters Etta James and Koko Taylor, to singer-songwriters like Bonnie Raitt and Sheryl Crow, to R&B belters like the late Little Milton. She writes the majority of her recorded material and her songs paint pictures of a gritty history of personal experience in life, love and the not-always-pretty music business.

Meet...Lisa Mann!!!

***********************************
How long have you lived in the Portland area?
I grew up in West Virginia, but came to Portland for my teen years. I
moved to Seattle for some time, but have been here in Portland full-time
since 1998.

Give us a brief history of your band/project:
My "Really Good Band" (yes, that's the name of the band) was formed in 2006 after I cut my first CD. It featured original members Jeff Knudson, Dave Melyan and Alex Shakeri. Dave and Alex ran off after they joined the Blues Music Award nominated Insomniacs, and now soul-man Brian Harris and swing-cat Michael Ballash play keys and drums respectively. We've been blessed to play some great festivals like Waterfront, UnTapped and Sunbanks, as well as making it to the semi-finals in the International Blues Challenge in Memphis, TN.

What’s the first song you ever learned to play?
Smoke on the Water, of course! But actually, the first song I ever learned all the way through was "Space Truckin"- another Deep Purple hit.

What’s your favorite local venue to play? To see other bands?
Oddly enough, I enjoy festivals on the one hand and small, intimate venues on the other. I love blowing it out on one set at the Waterfront Blues Fest for instance, or singing to and chatting with a smaller audience at a place like Halibuts II, Trail's End or Tigardville Station. As for seeing other bands, that doesn't happen much, I'm working full time. But I love Duff's Garage!

Speaking of other bands, who do you like on the Portland music scene?
Kevin Selfe and the Tornadoes smoke, and not just because my husband is the bass player.

Tell us about a recent “Only in Portland” moment you might have had.
Abandoning the block-long line at Voodoo Doughnut downtown to cross the river to hit the east side location.

Finish this sentence: “I cannot live without_____”
Voodoo Doughnuts!

Lisa will be performing at the August 24 Music on Main Street event. Full deets here!

No comments:

Post a Comment