Wednesday, September 14, 2011

The Local Artist Speaks: AUTOPILOT IS FOR LOVERS


Adrienne is from Montclair, New Jersey. Paul is from Salem, Oregon. Adrienne is the great-niece of Henny Youngman, the "King of the One-Liners", author of such classic phrases as "Take my wife - please." When Paul was seventeen his choir sang at Carnegie Hall, but he and some friends were sent home early when a bottle of whiskey was discovered in their hotel room. They never even got to drink the whiskey. -

From www.myspace.com/autopilotisforlovers

Meet Adrienne of Autopilot is for Lovers!
********************************************

How long have you lived in the Portland area?
I've lived here for 9 years! Wow I am old.

Give us a brief history of your band/project:
I started out on my own, playing shows by myself with just a guitar in college before I picked up the accordion. Since I moved to Portland the band's gone through lots of different members. Currently we have Matthew Ulm and Dustin Daniels from the band Old Age - on drums and bass respectively - and Eric Tergerson on viola. We would LOVE to have a full-time cellist to play harmonies with Eric, but cello players are in high demand in this town.

What’s the first song you ever learned to play?
I think maybe it was House of the Rising Sun? Possibly Paint It Black? You can see how such upbeat songs might set the tone for the rest of my pop songwriting career.

What’s your favorite local venue to play? To see other bands?
Oh God, there are lots of great spots in Portland. Places that come to mind are the Knife Shop, the Someday Lounge, Ella Street Social Club, the Woods, Doug Fir, Saratoga...

Speaking of other bands, who do you like on the Portland music scene?
Again, almost too many to list, but I will try - Ezra Carey, Porches, Mike Coykendall, Schicky Gnarowitz, Ashia Grzesik, Grey Anne, Mike Midlo, On the Stairs, Y La Bamba, St. Frankie Lee, Lost Lockets, Alameda, Woodwinds, Donovan Breakwater, Loch Lomond, Wooden Indian Burial Ground...

Tell us about a recent “Only in Portland” moment you might have had.
That's a tough one. Yesterday I met a balloon animal artist with anger issues. He's personally cussed out some people I know (though I wasn't there, maybe they had it coming). He traded my friend a balloon heart for a cigarette.

Finish this sentence: “I cannot live without_____”
My International Centromatic accordion, my wiener dog, and my jewelry studio.




Check out Adrienne on Hello Cruel World (thanks, John!):

No comments:

Post a Comment