Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Music with Lisa



Today is the official release of Pancake Breakfast’s new single, “PortlandtownUSA.” This past Friday (January 13), I had the opportunity to attend the sold out Pancake Breakfast Record Release Party at Jimmy Mak’s in downtown Portland. This was an amazing evening that showcased the band’s infectious feel good music they have become so well known. So good in fact, the crowd couldn’t help but to dance and whoop it up a bit. Just in case you’ve never heard of Pancake Breakfast, they are an amazing roots, rock, knee slapping, foot stomping, band from Portland Oregon that puts on one of the most enjoyable live performances you’ll see around town. I had a chance to catch up with Pancake Breakfast front man, Mike Midlo, to ask him a few questions about the new song and his current tour by train:


Can you tell me a little about your new single “PortlandtownUSA” and how you came to write this sort of love song to Portland?

PortlandtownUSA. It wasn't on purpose. This song just spilled-out one day while sitting at my kitchen table, looking out the window at my drippy neighborhood. "Ha, it's a polka!" I thought. In essence, it's a song about learning to appreciate the place you are. I just happened to be in Portland, it could have just as easily been called "VancouvertownUSA" or "FargotownUSA" (which the train is fast approaching as I write). There's a long tradition of love songs dedicated to hometowns. Portland is all part of that heritage. Ramblin' Jack Eliott's road buddy (and native Oregonian) Derroll Adams wrote the very sad war ballad, "Portland Town." You can find it on YouTube. There are a bunch of Portland songs. Our tune is just the latest in the line.


What do you love about the Portland music scene?

Here's what I love about the Portland music scene; Everyone supports each other. KZME is part of that!


How long have you been involved in the P-Town music scene and how has it changed since you first started playing here?

The first Pancake Breakfast show was November 2007 at the World Famous Kenton Club. I was horrible. Told myself I'd never play live again. The music scene is constantly changing and evolving. Bands come and go, venues come and go but, Portland continues to thrive and produce a cornucopia of interesting and challenging new music. We're a generator of culture rather than a promoter of pop culture I think. Also, I see a trend for shows to start earlier, which I think is good for everyone ... especially the day job crowd.


Tell me a little about you upcoming train tour and why you choose to travel by train?

I'm riding from sea to shining sea! Touring is expensive. I wanted to bring the whole band on tour (they wanted to come too!) but I couldn't figure-out how to feed them all. So, I'm treating this tour like shoveling the driveway for the first time. I'll do it solo. I'll play these shows back east, and if goes well, maybe next time will be easier. Besides the train sounded like fun. Plus, I wouldn't have to sleep in my car in January. Brrr.




To learn more about Pancake Breakfast and to hear their new release, visit their website at www.pancakebreakfastmusic.com.


- Lisa Avena

No comments:

Post a Comment