Friday, November 30, 2012

THE LOCAL ARTIST SPEAKS: Rocky Votolato


 This Seattle musician has put out a CD that required a minimum of two listens when it was put into my hands. The music takes me to the place that reminds me why I live in the grand Pacific NW conjuring up memories of big trees, strong coffee and great music. I went somewhere in my past when I heard I heard Above the Water and the journey, albeit via my imagination, put a smile on my face.

I caught up with Rocky via the internet and asked him those questions I love to ask - meet Rocky Votolato!

--  Dennise M. Kowalczyk, host of Trixie Pop

**********************************************
How long have you lived in the Portland area?

I live in the Seattle area - does that still count?  I love hanging in Portland though!

Give us a brief history of your band/project:

My name is Rocky Votolato and I've been writing songs and putting out records since 1999.  I have 7 full length albums that fall mostly into the "singer-songwriter" category.  I signed with the Seattle based indie-label Barsuk Records in 2005 and have 3 releases on the label, but I self-released my latest album "Television of Saints" with the help of my fans and Kickstarter.

What’s the first song you ever learned to play?

Creedence Clearwater Revival - Have you ever seen the rain?

What’s your favorite local venue to play? To see other bands?

My favorite place to play and see bands in Portland is Mississippi Studios.

Speaking of other bands, who do you like on the Portland music scene?

M. Ward
The Thermals
Laura Gibson
The Shins

Tell us about a recent “Only in Portland” moment you might have had.

I had the some of the best Donuts of my entire life at Voodoo Doughnuts.  My son loves the Maple Bacon Bars.

Finish this sentence: “I cannot live without__air___”.



Connect with Rocky Votolato:
http://www.rockyvotolato.com/
https://www.facebook.com/rockyvotolato



No comments:

Post a Comment