Tuesday, June 25, 2013

The Local Artist Speaks: WILD ONES


I finally met Jason.

Well, it all started when Jason Quigley’s name came up in an interview with band, Fault Lines, earlier in the day and then I actually met him at the Wild Ones listening party.

That is so Portland, isn’t it?

Last night, I attended the Wild Ones listening party in the Bar Bar apartment (above Mississippi Studios) – that is also so Portland and thank goodness.  What a great band!

Not to be confused with the hip hop band with the same name, the band was named as one of Willamette Week’s Best New Band in 2011 and I was happy to see them in person for the first time last night. I can’t believe it took me that long.

I chatted with the very friendly lead singer, Danielle Sullivan, upon arriving at the ‘invitation only’ event and helped myself to some of the free beer and snacks provided at the party. I was hungry and thirsty!  I also had a moment to chat with the keyboardist, who was quite nice as well. 

The party consisted of those free goodies, including a copy of the new album.  We were also treated to a “live” performance in the apartment’s living room.  The band played six songs, as I recall, from the new album, Keep it Safe.

At the time of this writing, I am about halfway through listening to the entire CD and really like the tracks, Golden Twin, It’s Real, and Row. I can’t wait to hear the rest of the CD. One of my ‘tests’ is if I feel motivated to roll down the car windows and play the music really loud.  To me, that means I am really enjoying it and want to share it with the world. So is the case with Keep it Safe. I’ve already noted that this is one of my faves for 2013.

You can hear the band play music from the new album on July 5 at Mississippi Studios.  It is their release party – My Body and Genders are also on the bill. 

Click here for show info.

Of course, you can hear this album on 1071 FM KZME radio because we are all about playing the music made here and played here, you know.

-- Dennise M. Kowalczyk

PHOTO GALLERY
LISTEN
VIDEO

No comments:

Post a Comment