Friday, February 21, 2014

The Local Artist Speaks: MIKE COYKENDALL


Mike Coykendall is a legend as far as I'm concerned.  I suspect a few other folks in town will agree with me in that regards as he can be found working with so many other musicians on creating great music together. 

You can see him on February 27 at Mississippi Studios. Click here for show info!



He is the KZME Featured Artist for February!

*****************************************************************

How long have you lived in the Portland area?
since late '99.  Had to get out of SF before Y2K!!

Give us a brief history of your band/project:
Well, I was in my 1st band at age 15. I'm 50 now. Haven't really taken a break. I have been taking a break from doing the full band thing for a year or two now and I have been playing solo. All by my lonesome. It's a new challenge.


What’s the first song you ever learned to play?
Day Tripper by the Beatles but I wasn't doing it correctly for a while. I was putting an F# where the G should go. Oh well. I got there eventually.

What’s your favorite local venue to play? To see other bands?
The Doug Fir is really nice for a big rock sound. They do a good job there. I like the Aladdin for seeing a show / listening. All of them can be good if the night is right. I've had good times at many of them. I guess I like the small rooms the best.

Speaking of other bands, who do you like on the Portland music scene?
A few names come to mind. I know of so many. New and old. Not gonna pick. It's too hard! :0

Tell us about a recent “Only in Portland” moment you might have had.
I've gotten so used to Portland and its peculiar ways. I find it to still be a great place for a freak like myself. Anyhoo... "Only in Portland" ?? Not really.

Finish this sentence: “I cannot live without_____.”  Water.

Connect with Mike Coykendall here:
mikecoykendall.com
Facebook Fan Page
Bandcamp



Mike Coykendall - Crazy in Kansas from Mr. Fly on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment