Thursday, April 7, 2011

The Local Artist Speaks: Laura of Upsidedown Cat


How long have you lived in the Portland area? I was born in Portland and I've lived in SW Portland for 24.5 years.

Give us a brief history of your band/project: I started writing songs when I began taking songwriting lessons from my friend Todd Fadel in 2005 when I was 19. I made a lot of demos on my computer and 4-track tape recorder for a few years. In 2008 I met the right people who wanted to record my first CD, Jonathan Moore and Mike Alston of Sound Ghost Studios. We became firm friends and I started recording at the studio which was in their basement at the time. We recorded Soon Fall Will Be Here most Saturdays from August 2008 - Jan 2010. I played a few shows over the years with some friends but mainly focused on finishing college. We also started Sound Ghost Musical Collective, a small collective of our friends' bands. My band is still sort of a solo/recording project, though now that I've graduated I hope to start playing shows more, find some more band members and write a second album!

What’s the first song you ever learned to play? When I was a kid I learned "Heart and Soul" on the piano...of course. On guitar I think the first song I learned was probably the intro to My Name Is Jonas by Weezer (that's about as far as I ever got with guitar, haha). On keyboard... I learned an Agents of Future song called "God I Wait." I pretty much only know how to play my own songs still.

What’s your favorite local venue to play? To see other bands? I've really only played at The Artistery (RIP) and coffee shops like Urban Grind. To see other bands over the years I've frequented the Crystal Ballroom, Wonder Ballroom, Mississippi Studios and The Artistery. In high school I mainly went to shows at The Meow Meow (RIP). All-ages clubs are awesome! There are actually a lot of places I've never been to like the Doug Fir, Holecene, The Woods... a little strange, but true. I mainly just go see my friend's bands these days.

Speaking of other bands, who do you like on the Portland music scene? I like my friends: Kelli Schaefer, Drew Grow, The Beauty, Imaginary Airship, Bruhn, Alan Singley, The Builders and The Butchers. Of course I've always liked Quasi, Menomena, Katy Davidson (Dear Nora), Thanksgiving, The Softies, Pocket Parade, The Online Romance, The Badger King, etc.

Tell us about a recent “Only in Portland” moment you might have had. I had to work last Friday, but The Builders and The Butchers playing like 7 free shows around town all in one day seems pretty Portland to me!

Finish this sentence: “I cannot live without_____”
My friends, my family, and my cat Minna.

For a listen loo to Upsidedown Cat, click here!

No comments:

Post a Comment