Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The Local Artist Speaks: LITTLE SUE


Little Sue is a sassy singer/songwriter here in Portland that tells her stories with music. Her songs leave me with the impression that she really does mean business I would not want to piss her off and then you meet her. She is as sweet as can be and you hope she just might be open to being your new BFF.

I touched base with her through the internets and posed my questions. Meet Little Sue!

How long have you lived in the Portland area? I moved to Portland on August 30, 1992, at the young age of 21! I had been in a band in Michigan (The Crackpots) and we all moved out here to take part in the music scene.

Give us a brief history of your band/project: While still in the Crackpots, I started writing my own songs around 1996. Local label Cravedog produced my first 2 cds under the moniker "Little Sue" and I have put out 3 more on my own. I play solo these days, though I have had many wonderful bands backing me up through the years. I also play in a duo with Lynn Conover, in a swing country-jazz quartet called Trolley Jane, and I play bass in the glam-rock band From Words To Blows.

What’s the first song you ever learned to play? The first song I ever learned to play was If I Had A Hammer by Peter, Paul and Mary. I was obsessive as a budding guitar player and would play until my fingers were so red and swollen it was painful to even wash my hands.

What’s your favorite local venue to play? To see other bands? I've been enjoying The Bunk Bar very much, both to play and to listen (and to eat delicious sandwiches!). Doug Fir has been a favorite to play, but not always a favorite to go listen. The Laurelthirst always gets my vote.

Speaking of other bands, who do you like on the Portland music scene? I love Duover, Lewi Longmire, Fernando, Mike Coykendall, Michael Jodell, Ezra Holbrook, Kung Pao Chickens, A Simple Colony (a Lara Michell project, and anything else Lara does, too!), Jim Boyer, Michael Hurley, The Minus 5, Lynn Conover, Darrin Craig, James Low, Rachel Taylor Brown, Colleen Raney, The Don of Division Street, Casey Neill, Stolen Sweets, Midnight Serenaders, RedRay Frazier, Hanz Araki, Mike D, Chris Robley rocks whatever he's doing. I'm sure I'm forgetting somebody. Old Light is a new favorite.

Tell us about a recent “Only in Portland” moment you might have had. Since Portlandia came out I always feel like I'm in an episode. Though that feeling is wearing off. I can't think of one in particular, though they happen often, accompanied by an "I love Portland"sigh.

Finish this sentence: “I cannot live without love.”

Little Sue will be one of the featured musicians on the next Music on the Air, a video production produced by MetroEast Community Media.

No comments:

Post a Comment