Wednesday, July 20, 2011

The Local Artist Speaks: MICHAEL JODELL


I recently 'met' Miss Michael Jodell on a show I produce called ArtclecticPDX. Field producer, Lauren Oujiri, interviewed Michael for the program and also included some fabulous songs the musician has recorded. You can check out the interview by clicking here.

In the meantime, if you want to check her out in person, she will be at Music on Main Street - TONIGHT - right outside the Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall (SW Broadway and Main). The show is with Mike Coykendall (click here for his blog/interview I did with him a few weeks back) and starts at 5 pm.

Meet....Miss Michael Jodell!!!!

*************************************

How long have you lived in the Portland area? I moved here in 1998, and I still love it.

Give us a brief history of your band/project: I am a singer and songwriter, who grew up singing classic country and gospel. Somewhere along the way I was moved by Rock, charmed by Americana and romanced by Jazz music. I am very fortunate to have some fantastic musicians lend their talents to the Michael Jodell songbook! They are all busy musicians, so scheduling is always a challenge, but I like challenges.

What’s the first song you ever learned to play? When I was three years old, my mom was rehearsing Kris Kristofferson's "Why Me Lord" for church. I walked in and started to sing the chorus along with her. That Sunday she stood me on a chair and I made my singing debut.

What’s your favorite local venue to play? I love the Laurelthrist, because there is a great sense of community, and I have shared some fantastic musical moments there as a listener and player. I love Mississippi Studios sound and feel. To see other bands? The Schnitzer is amazing, Doug Fir sounds fantastic, and, again Mississippi Studios.

Speaking of other bands, who do you like on the Portland music scene? I am continuously inspired by the breadth of musical talent in this city. Dolorean, Mike Coykendall and the Golden Shag, Fernando, Pierced Arrows, M.Ward, Michael Hurley, Old Light, Blitzen Trapper, The Don of Division Street, the My Oh My's, Little Sue, From Words to Blows, Caleb Clauder, Drunken Prayer, Duover...the list goes on and on!

Tell us about a recent “Only in Portland” moment you have had. How about 60 degree weather in July?

Finish this sentence: “I cannot live without air.”

No comments:

Post a Comment