Wednesday, May 25, 2011

THe Local Artist Speaks: MIKE COYKENDALL


He comes from Kansas, but we got him now! Mike and his wife, Jill moved to Portland in 1999 after making amazing music elsewhere with such bands as the Old Joe Clarks. He has toured with M.Ward and collaborated with other world class musicians like Gillian Welch. Not only is he a talented musician, he is also a fabulous sound guy. Meet....Mike Coykendall!!!

*******************************************************
How long have you lived in the Portland area?
since late '99

Give us a brief history of your band/project:
well... I have a few bands/projects but my current live band for performing my own stuff is made up of friends who I like to hang out with and who also happen to be very talented players. We've gotten to know each other musically over the last 6 years or so and that can only come with time. We formed the band "The Golden Shag" around the time of my 2005 record "hello hello hello" and have been at it ever since. A couple players have come and gone but they are all still part of the family. :)

What’s the first song you ever learned to play?
Day Tripper by the Beatles but I wasn't doing it correctly for a while. I was putting an F# where the G should go. Oh well. I got there eventually.

What’s your favorite local venue to play? To see other bands?
The Doug Fir is really nice for a big rock sound. They do a good job there. I like the Aladdin for seeing a show / listening. All of them can be good if the night is right.

Speaking of other bands, who do you like on the Portland music scene?
Too many to list. Let me see... Pigeons have blown me away a few times recently. I think they are doing something quite unique.

Tell us about a recent “Only in Portland” moment you might have had.
I saw a herd of bicyclists with trailers hooked onto their bikes that were moving someone's stuff to another location. That was pretty cool.

Finish this sentence: “I cannot live without...belief?

***********************

More info at www.mikecoykendall.com

No comments:

Post a Comment