Wednesday, June 1, 2011

The Local Artist Speaks: JON GARCIA

I met Jon several months back when I heard about a film he was directly that included some great local music. The movie is called Tandem Hearts and its about a couple who move to Portland and discover some interesting things about each other in the City of Roses. KZME sponsored a fun event at The Doug Fir Lounge that included the showing of some clips and live performances by some of the bands featured on the soundtrack.



The movie is slated to come out some time this year,in the meantime, meet...Jon Garcia!

*******************************************

How long have you lived in the Portland area? I lived here 7 years.

Give us a brief history of your band/project: I started playing with a 5 piece band about 5 years ago, then as I started making films and getting busier with video I had less time to keep a band together. I started playing solo 2 years ago, then I met Raelyn Olson, who is a fantastic harp player and we now are a duo.

What’s the first song you ever learned to play? The first song I ever learned to play was "Come as you are" by Nirvana.

What’s your favorite local venue to play? To see other bands? I love to play at The Woods.

Speaking of other bands, who do you like on the Portland music scene? I like We're From Japan, and No Kind of Rider, and Loch Lomond. There are countless others, but that's who comes to mind right off the bat.

Tell us about a recent “Only in Portland” moment you might have had. A guy rode past me on one of those tall bicycles, I ran into all of my ex girlfriends in an hour and a barista acted like I was inconveniencing her by asking her for an espresso.

Finish this sentence: “I cannot live without family/music/film".

To keep tabs on Jon:

www.myspace.com/jongarciaportland
www.tandemheartsmovie.com

To hear my interview with Jon and a couple of the other fellows involved in the film:

ArtclecticPDX - February 6 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment