Wednesday, June 15, 2011

The Local Artist Speaks: BOY EATS DRUM MACHINE


Jon Ragel is Boy Eats Drum Machine. Its just him and some fancy gadgets that put together some clever music that makes your foot start tapping. You just can't help yourself. The next moment you will find yourself shaking your booty to the beat and a smile plasters itself on your beaming face.

Jon performed at our KZME pre-launch event late last year and was just in our MetroEast Community Media studios to record a segment for Music on the Air. He'll be joining three other fabulous bands on July 15 for a benefit show for KZME radio (Octopus Entertainment is putting together that fine show). Meet....Boy Eats Drum Machine!

*********************************************
How long have you lived in the Portland area?

My whole life. I was born at Bess Kaiser and grew up in the East Tabor, Montavilla, and Laurelhurst neighborhoods. I went to Benson Tech High School. Currently, my wife and I live in the upper Hawthorne area and I work on lower SE Division.

Give us a brief history of your band/project:

I started BEDM to experiment with song writing and sounds. I hand made my debut, Pleasure in the fall of 2005. I've since released 4 more full length LPs--two on Portland's Tender Loving Empire. I've also toured across the country twice and down to Texas once for SXSW, where I plugged my entire turntable/beats rig and a microphone into a boat's sound system via one RCA cable.

What’s the first song you ever learned to play?

I started playing guitar when I was 16. My first move was to write a song for my buddy about how his little sister was cute. He was ungrateful. Audience response has improved since then though.

What’s your favorite local venue to play? To see other bands?

My basement is the still my fav. I live to make music down here. Several other Portland spots are tied for second. I like house parties for live bands too. As long as the cymbals aren't too loud and the vocals aren't too distorted, house parties have the most raucous, organic sound.

Speaking of other bands, who do you like on the Portland music scene?

My favs are Menomena and Talkdemonic. During the week, I'm a massage therapist, and my playlists at work include Deelay Ceelay, Laura Gibson, Alela Diane, Point Juncture, WA, Eskimo and Sons, and Typhoon.

Tell us about a recent “Only in Portland” moment you might have had.

When my buddy from Scotland visited, my wife and I took he and his family to Voodoo Donuts. I talked him into splitting a Cock-N-Balls with me. "They're the best", said I. "The doughyness-to-cream ratio is perfect."

Beth (my wife) wanted the first bite though, so she yanked a hole into the tip. Just then, two jets of cream filling shot forth, streaming onto my face and glasses with a splat. We laughed. We giggled. We laughed again. Then somebody handed me a few napkins.

Finish this sentence: “I cannot live without...music."

No comments:

Post a Comment