Wednesday, June 8, 2011

The Local Artist Speaks: LEWI LONGMIRE


Lewi Longmire is known as the musician's 'go to guy' because he's a multifaceted musician and, well, a really nice guy.

He's played with local greats like Little Sue, Michael Jodell and the Freak Mountain Ramblers as well as national superstars like Victoria Williams and Minus 5.

Lewi's got a new CD coming out at the end of the month. On June 25, Tales of the Left Coast Roasters will be released with a show at The Woods.

Meet....Lewi Longmire!!!!

******************************


How long have you lived in the Portland area?
Oh, around 13 1/2 years. I moved here from New Mexico at the beginning of October 1997.


Give us a brief history of your band/project:

My main band, the one which shares my name, The Lewi Longmire Band, is a blue-collar rock and roll power trio in the classic vein. The brief(?) history is: I moved to Portland with a band, which broke up soon thereafter. Tired of touring, I "retired" from music for a bit, but was immediately lured back in, and ended up playing guitar, keys, or bass with several local bands. Around 2004/5 I figured it was time to start playing some of the songs I'd written myself. After a few revolving lineups, the band settled as myself on guitar, vocals and songs, Bill Rudolph (Little Sue, the Crackpots) on bass and vocals and Ned Folkerth (Caleb Klauder Band) on drums. Our music is kind of like a rootsy version of Grand Funk Railroad. I think it's silly calling it the Lewi Longmire Band (since as a trio, the other two fellows add an incredible amount to the music- it's not just me), but the boys refuse to take a name. Sometimes, our lineup is augmented by other folks and friends and I call us The Left Coast Roasters.


What’s the first song you ever learned to play?

I had some kind of Beatles "simple guitar" book, I'm sure it was "You've Got to Hide Your Love Away" or something like that. I also recall being particularly excited when I learned how to play the big, chunky Jimi Hendrix "Purple Haze" chord.


What’s your favorite local venue to play? To see other bands?

I'm certainly prejudiced, as I book music for the Laurelthirst Pub, and I wouldn't be able to do a job like that, inviting folks to come play there, if I didn't think it's just a super super cool place to play/see music. I like the intimacy and immediacy of the place, and like the 'roadhouse' feel (again, I'm from rural New Mexico) as opposed to clean rock clubs. If you can stand being in a crowded room, it's the best.

That said, though, I love the sound at the Doug Fir (especially when Mick is at the board). I think the Alberta Rose is a really cool small theater, it's especially good for mellower, nuanced music. I think The Woods is one of the more comfortable venues in town... I appreciate a good couch. There's plenty of others, most of the venues in town are all different and have something good going, and if you're looking for a specific vibe, there's a room for it here.

I also miss Satyricon and La Luna.


Speaking of other bands, who do you like on the Portland music scene?

Admittedly, I don't get a chance to get out and see other music nearly as much as I'd like, my "blue collar" musician status usually has me playing 3 or more nights per week, so I'm not as up on the scene as I could be.

I'm a roots-rock head primarily, and some of the younger crop in town right now are really turning me on: Sallie Ford & the Sound Outside and The Parson Red Heads come immediately to mind. The Monarques, Nick Jaina (is he still considered local?), Old Light, The Don of Division Street, Denver, anything Mike Coykendall or Dave Depper has a hand in is worth checking out.

That's a really tough question, actually, as this town is literally FILLED with excellent bands/musicians.


Tell us about a recent “Only in Portland” moment you might have had.

Hmmm. I don't want to get too Portland-centric about things, I DO feel that this is an amazing town and unlike most anywhere else, but I'm sure we're not the only cool town in a vacuum.

I do seem to see folks around here riding unicycles and juggling or playing guitar... as they're commuting to work. I don't know that I've ever been someplace where I've seen THAT on an almost daily basis.


Finish this sentence: “I cannot live without_____”
I cannot live without trying every day to become more focused, grounded and respectful of the world, myself and others. Otherwise, what's the point?

I cannot live without hope. But I like rock and roll, too!


Find more of Lewi on his web site: www.lewilongmire.com

No comments:

Post a Comment