Friday, August 10, 2012

The Local Artist Speaks | ORPHAN TRAIN


Every so often, James Dineen (KZME music director) asks me to screen CDs for our library (can't have any bad words on the air, right?).  Recently, he gave me a CD that, well, knocked by socks off.  So much so, I almost made a digital copy but opted not to do that and will listen to KZME to hear tracks by my newest band crush:  Orphan Train.

Electric Junk by Orphan Train marks the 4th release from singer-songwriter & multi-instrumentalist, Aram Arslanian.  I first heard Aram a year or so ago when he performed at one of the Music Monday shows presented by the Gresham Arts Plaza (KZME was media sponsor). His performance at that time stayed true to his folk roots, so I was pleasantly surprised to discover that he is the talent behind Orphan Train which is all about one of my favorite genres: indie pop!

Astonishingly, both James and I agree that pretty much every track on the CD is downright delicious.  Well, I used that word, but you know what I mean.  I was so excited about the discovery of this CD, I found Aram on the interwebs and asked him to be my first guest in bringing back my blog, The Local Artist Speaks.  Blessed be, he enthusiastically agreed to do it.  -- Dennise Kowalczyk | Host of Trixie Pop, ArtclecticPDX and The Lunch Box.

Meet....Orphan Train!

How long have you lived in the Portland area?

almost 5 years. we moved from LA just after my son was born. Besides Portland being a great music town it also is a great place to start a family.

Give us a brief history of your band/project:

I started in Boston which is where I’m from. Played in a band called ‘Pulse 8’ which morphed into my solo project ‘Aram Island’.  Moved to LA to pursue a song-writing career and found myself working as a hired gun supporting other songwriters and bands both on the road in my studio ‘Kingsley Garden’. At one point I even found myself playing in a Lisa Marie Presley’s band!

I signed on with a little label in Los Angeles called Surprise Truck and released two records using just my 1st name ‘Aram’. The rhythm section I was playing with, Scott McPherson and Matt Fitzell, really helped to carve out a distinct groove for my, otherwise, pretty folky tunes and for the 3rd record I renamed the band and CD ‘Orphan Train’.
Electric Junk is pretty much a solo affair yet is the most rock and roll sound I’ve ever made. My wife who has her own project called ‘Ladytown’ sings a bit. I have squeezed the writing and recording of this record in between recording other folks in my studio in Vancouver.



What’s the first song you ever learned to play?

I plunked out the melody to Jesus Christ Superstar on the piano over and over again when I was 8 or 9. Drove my family insane with that! I think the 1st guitar song was America’s ‘Lonely People’ when I was about 11.

What’s your favorite local venue to play? To see other bands?

I play a winery in Battle Ground regularly call Heisen House Vineyards that is like a mini paid vacation every-time I play. Secret Society Ballroom is great all around for vibe, staff & sound. I love to see bands at the Mississippi Studios or Aladdin. The Tiger  Bar rocks my face off.

Speaking of other bands, who do you like on the Portland music scene?

I believe that they are on hiatus, but I LOVE ‘Kleveland’. ‘Old Light’ are amazing artists. Love ‘Don of Division’. ‘Drunken Prayer’...genius. Got a sweet spot for ‘Lincoln’s Beard’.


Tell us about a recent “Only in Portland” moment you might have had.

Got a call from a playwright seeking a composer for a musical he was developing called OMG Rock Opera... a story of Jesus and  the Disciples... except they all engage in pervy sex acts with each other...as well as the farm animals. And YES I took the gig!

Finish this sentence: “I cannot live without_____”

Blood.

Find more about Orphan Train:

http://www.reverbnation.com/orphantrain
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/orphantrain 
http://kingsleygardenmusic.com/home.cfm




No comments:

Post a Comment