Saturday, August 18, 2012

The Local Artist Speaks | ROBIN JACKSON


I had no idea.

Robin and I first met almost a decade ago when he was attending Evergreen State College. He was an intern at KBOO Community Radio for a few months while I was serving as station manager.  I remember him as a enthusiastic, creative whippersnapper - and now look at him!  He has grown into quite the talented musician and I was thrilled to hear him play his music on this charming album, Dust Diaries, which is his first solo effort. He's also a rascal with Vagabond Opera AND the March Fourth Marching Band.  Who knew?  I had no idea!

The CD is a sweet gathering of several tunes that capture your attention with the first word and takes you along for the lovely ride as the song progresses, very gently. I love the horns and the strings, too.  Some of my favorite tracks are: The Spring and Paper Bird.

Robin will have his CD release party on August 23 at Mississippi Pizza.  Details here.

Meet Robin Jackson......!

-- Dennise M. Kowalczyk, host of Trixie Pop heard on 1071 FM KZME Radio | Thursdays at 7 pm

***************************************

How long have you lived in the Portland area?
I've lived here almost ten years! Oh my gosh...

Give us a brief history of your band/project:
There's not a lot! I just launched my solo band June 8th, with the release of my debut solo album 'Dust Diaries' at the Secret Society in Portland. I created an album first, before the band was fully formed and now am beginning to gig and give it life.  I guess you can say this project is a culmination of inspiration from playing in my other groups Vagabond Opera and the March Fourth Marching Band, as well as from a monthly songwriters night I hold at my house called the Songwriter Soiree. The soiree is an open mic night in my living room where songwriters share original music with each other. I used it as a kick in the butt to write music. That's where all the songs on my album came from. Oh, that, and heartbreak : )

What’s the first song you ever learned to play?
Oh geez...like, the really first? Twinkle Twinkle Little Star on the violin at age 5.

What’s your favorite local venue to play? To see other bands?
Ooo...in all honestly I'd pick Mississippi Pizza. I know, it's small and not a "big deal" but the intimacy is just lovely. It's where Vagabond Opera started out so it has a special place in my heart. I love the lighting and the feel of it. A close second is the Secret Society. What a great spot. They treat musicians great there.

Speaking of other bands, who do you like on the Portland music scene?
At the moment I'm digging some of my songwriter friends the most like Ben Darwish, Zak Borden, Christopher Worth, Patti King, The Midnight Serenaders, Hans Araki, and Y La Bamba...

Tell us about a recent “Only in Portland” moment you might have had.
Oh, that's easy...waking up this morning (and most mornings) in my vintage urban farmhouse (in the Mississippi neighborhood of course), saying "hi" to my 4 other roommates who are also self-employed and work at home...then working out in the "garden office" by the chicken coop (we have three chicks)...where I spent the day trying to work but being distracted by someone always doing yoga on the back deck and my friend bringing over homemade raw chocolate (which she sells for a living).   Oh, and then seeing the Mayor at the coffee shop by my house this morning. It's not always that ideal, but pretty often...only in Portland!

Finish this sentence: “I cannot live without: ___________ ”
At the moment the answer is Blues dancing!  (I recommend...it's fun...wait, is this a personal ad?)

http://robinjackson.net/
http://vagabondopera.com
http://marchfourthmarchingband.com/
http://saloonensemble.com/


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can hear Robin Jackson in-studio this afternoon (8/18) at 4pm on KZME program "Hello Cruel World"!
    #serendipitous

    ReplyDelete